1870 - 1929
Pine, steel wire, paint
64 x 50.5 x 28.5 cm
Place of origin
Sunnycroft, Shropshire (Accredited Museum)
On show at
A steel and cream-painted pine plate rack, British, late 19th/ early 20th century, with two tiers formed of horizontal bars strung with steel wires, the top and bottom rack each with thirteen wires, a further two wires stretching from the base to the top of the rack on the right hand side, affixed to the wall.
Sunnycroft was built in 1880 for J.G. Wackrill, founder of the Shropshire Brewery. It was bought in the early 1890s by Mary Jane Slaney who proceeded to extend the house and lay out the grounds to create the estate that is there today. After Mary Slaney died in 1912 the property was bought by her brother-in-law John Vernon Thomas Lander. Three generations of the Lander family lived at Sunnycroft. J.V.T. Lander's granddaughter Joan bequeathed the estate to the National Trust in 1997.