One of a set of four ebonised and parcel gilt chairs, English, circa 1805. Each with spiral-twist toprail, pierced horizontal splat centred with a sunburst rosette and a further lower splat with reeded and ring-turned detail, the caned seat on sabre legs, stamped with initials SG to underside.
There is a story that this chair is known as "Nelson`s chair" as it was given to Mary Parminter by her friend Lady Nelson who lived in Exmouth after her husband died at the Battle of Trafalagar in 1805. It is reputed that the set of chairs were a redundant feature from one of Lord Nelson`s earlier battle ships. There is no confirmation but this is a wonderful story!
Marks and inscriptions
Underside of seat rail: SG