One of a set of eleven seventeenth century Italian walnut campaign chairs, with contemporary velvet seats and backs with blue tassel fringes. The backs are surmounted by carved and gilt finials, the legs and stretchers are square. The seat frames are hinged in the centre to fold up. Three chairs are red velvet and seven peach velvet. The present one is in peach. The chairs were brought to Knole from Copt Hall in 1701.
Knole and the majority of its furniture were accepted by HM Treasury in part payment of death duties and transferred to the National Trust in 1946.