A View of Shugborough and the Park from the East
Nicholas Thomas Dall (Denmark fl.1748 - London 1776/7)
This vast landscape view of the Shugborough estate reflects the alterations made to house in the mid-eighteenth century. The picture also shows a series of monuments, including a Chinese Pagoda (middle left) which no longer survives. The artist, Nicholas Thomas Dall, produced five views of the house and its garden furnishings, as well as painting the architectural fantasies set into the walls of the house’s dining room.
Oil painting on canvas, View of Shughborough and the Park from the East by Nicholas Dall ARA (fl.1756-d.1776), circa 1768. Extensive large landscape painting, with view of Shugborough, a field with a groom, horses and sheep in foreground. All the monuments near to house are included, along with what was left of Shugborough village. The house is seen before the second story was added to the link buildings. The monuments are, from left to right, the Triumphal Arch, the Temple of the Winds, the Lanthorn of Demosthenes and the Chinese Pagoda (no longer surviving); on the right is the River Trent and Essex Bridge with the neigbouring estate of Tixall. The cascade and Palladian Bridge had not yet been built.
Accepted by H.M. Treasury in lieu of estate duties following the death of Thomas Edward Anson (1883 – 1960) the 4th Earl of Lichfield and given on loan to The National Trust for display at Shugborough Hall in March 1966. Transferred as a gift to The National Trust by H.M. Treasury on the 30th October 1984.
Shugborough, The Anson Collection (National Trust)
Makers and roles
Nicholas Thomas Dall (Denmark fl.1748 - London 1776/7), artist
Harris 1979 John Harris, The Artist and the Country House. A History of Country House and Garden View Painting in Britain 1540-1870, London 1979, no. 321