One of a set of three satinwood and cane 'Burgemeester' chairs, probably Colonial Dutch, mid 18th century. The curved moulded top rail above three pierced carved back splats and turned baluster stiles , the caned seat raised on carved cabriole legs and lions paw feet tied by turned baluster cross stretchers. The term 'Burgemeester' was first applied to this model of chair in the 19th century almost a century after they were first made. The Dutch term translates as 'Mayor' and it is though that the design was originally intended for citizens of high rank. They were previously known as round chairs and were first made in the former Dutch colonies of Indonesia and Sri Lanka from indigenous hard woods. They are distinguishable by their semi circular back, round seat and six legs. They were often exported to Holland and from there to England where they became extremely popular at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century. James Weedon (August 2018)
Bequest of the estates of Corfe Castle and Kingston Lacy made to the National Trust by Henry John Ralph Bankes (1902-1981). NT ownership commenced from 19th August 1982.