Burroughes and Watts Ltd
Mahogany and baize
88 x 366 x 199 cm
Place of origin
SohoOrder this image
Polesden Lacey, Surrey (Accredited Museum)
On show at
A 12ft mahogany billiard table, English, circa 1880, by Burroughes and Watts Ltd., of Soho, London. The 'low cushions' - introduced by Burroughes and Watts circa 1870, made by Cowderoy, Bland & Co. of London. The slate bed lined in baize and with six pockets. The table's edge applied with paterae above deep 'paneled friezes'. The legs turned and reeded, and known as 'tulip' legs. Also with a scorer, three cues, two rest, and three billiard balls (two red and one white). Burroughes & Watts supplied the best billiard tables that the market had to offer in the 19th century. Founded in 1836, they were granted the Royal Warrant in the 1880s.
Date of acquisition not recorded; bequeathed by Margaret McEwan, The Hon. Mrs Ronald Greville (1863-1942) with Polesden Lacey, to the National Trust, in memory of her father, William McEwan (1827-1913) in 1942. Formerly in the Polesden Lacey Social Club (ex Stables). Three balls purchased 1981.
Marks and inscriptions
One end: THIS TABLE IS FITTED WITH / VICTORY / LOW CUSHIONS BY / COWDEROY, BLAND AND CO. / LONDON. W.
Makers and roles
Burroughes and Watts Ltd, makers Cowderoy, Bland and Co., makers