1535 - 1540
39 mm (Height); 274 mm (Diameter)
Place of origin
UrbinoOrder this image
Polesden Lacey, Surrey (Accredited Museum)
On show at
Maiolica tazza, painted with a scene from Ovid's Metamorphoses showing Aesculapius, the Greek god of medicine restoring Hippolytus to life. The plate also bears the coat of arms, a lion rampant argent surmounted by a bishop's mitre, of the Bishop of Urbino, Giacomo Nordi. This plate was made in Urbino between 1535 and 1540 probably in the workshop of Maestro Guido Durantino and was originally part of a service made for the Bishop of Urbino. The reverse of the plate bears the inscription 'Escalapio rende la / uita ali morte' - translated as 'Aesculapius restores life to the dead'.
From the Henry Harris Collection, London. The bequest of Margaret (Anderson) McEwan, The Hon. Mrs Ronald - later Dame Margaret - Henry Fulke Greville, DBE (1863-1942) from probate records linked with the donation of the property to the National Trust in 1943. This item found on the record for Polesden Lacey Majolica stored in the basement, page 96.
Marks and inscriptions
On reverse: Escalapio rende la / uita ali morte
Makers and roles
Guido Durantino, maker