A set of twelve stained oak chairs, English, circa 1860. Each with a carved frame and oval padded back flanked by twist turned stiles surmounted by a pierced cartouche crest. The overstuffed seat raised on fluted columnar and square section baluster legs, on castors. Brass studs with rosette heads.
Speke Hall and its contents were bequeathed, as a secondary devise, to the National Trust by Adelaide Watt (d.1921) in 1943. Speke was initially bequeathed to the Norris family (who built the original house during the 16th century). It was then leased to Liverpool City Council and later to the Museums Department of Merseyside County Council. The National Trust took over direct management of the house and its contents in 1986.