Sèvres Porcelain Manufactory (established 1756)
Cup, part of a collection of 12 hard and soft paste cups and saucers, painted with polychrome decoration in different colours, Sevres 1776-1788. Cup and saucer (gobelet at soucoupe 'litron'). WHite ground to upper third of cup and outer ring and centre of saucer, the remainder a yellow ground, decorated with polychrome arabesque friezes. Marks 'LL' interlaced and containing 'KK' for 1788, mark of Guillaume Noel (op.1755-1804 painter and gilder). See 'Treasures from India' catalogue pg.141.
Set formed part of the presents sent to Tipu Sultan by Louis XVI in return for the gifts to the French crown, brought by three ambassadors from Mysore in 1788. The records of the Manufactures Royales refer to the procelain 'afluers, sans figures d'hommes ni animaux'. This may have been in deference to the Muslim religion of Tipu's court. (Bibliography - Brunet, M. 1961 'Incidences de l'ambassade de Tippu-Saib sur la porcelain de Sevres', Cahiers de la ceramique, No.24 1961). Brought to Powis Castle from Walcot Hall in 1930. Accepted by HM Treasury on 21st March, 1963 in lieu of tax and conveyed to National Trust ownership in 1992.
Makers and roles
Sèvres Porcelain Manufactory (established 1756) , potters