Sèvres Porcelain Manufactory (established 1756)
Porcelain and gilt
33 mm (H); 137 mm (Dia)
Place of origin
SèvresOrder this image
Powis Castle and Garden, Powys (Accredited Museum)
On show at
Saucer, part of a collection of 12 hard and soft paste cups and saucers, painted with polychrome decoration in different colours, Sevres 1776-1788. Cup and saucer (gobelet at soucoupe 'litron'). Green ground with shaped polychrome friezes of flowers in garlands, bands of gold and red on both cup and saucer. Marks 'LL' interlaced and containing 'G' for 1786, mark of Jacques-Francois-Louis Laroche (op.1758-1800, painter). See Treasures from India' catalogue pg.141.
Set formed part of the presents sent to Tipu Sultan by Louis XVI in return for the gifts to the French crown, brought by three ambassadors from Mysore in 1788. The records of the Manufactures Royales refer to the procelain 'afluers, sans figures d'hommes ni animaux'. This may have been in deference to the Muslim religion of Tipu's court. (Bibliography - Brunet, M. 1961 'Incidences de l'ambassade de Tippu-Saib sur la porcelain de Sevres', Cahiers de la ceramique, No.24 1961). Brought to Powis Castle from Walcot Hall in 1930. Accepted by HM Treasury on 21st March, 1963 in lieu of tax and conveyed to National Trust ownership in 1992.
Makers and roles
Sèvres Porcelain Manufactory (established 1756) , potters