Walnut, olive wood, ash, ebony, ivory and brass
785 mm (H); 940 mm (W); 675 mm (D)Order this image
Powis Castle and Garden, Powys
On show at
William and Mary (c.1690) side table of oyster walnut the top inlaid with central oval and four corner panels of floral marquetry and leaves of stained ivory on dark wood (ebony) ground, a drawer in the frieze with brass handles, supported on spirally twisted legs with central platform to the X stretchers, on ball feet, restored 1825. Repairs done to oyster wood replaced with olive wood; top moulding replaced with walnut; legs are ash of unknown age, repaired but newer than rest of piece; wood beneath drawer added; platform old.
Accepted by HM Treasury on 21st March, 1963 in lieu of tax and conveyed to National Trust ownership on 29th November 1963.