Tipu Sultan's tent. Cotton chintz with a white ground, patterned with acanthus cusped niches, each enclosing a central vase with symmetrical flower arrangement, redominantly in reds and greens, the green achieved by over-painting dyed indigo with yellow (a fugative pigment which has partially disappeared). An enlarged version of the flower-head motif appears in the main horizontal borders on a green ground, and scaled down on a yellow ground in the spandrels of the arch. Triple vertical borders separate the panels. A black and white merlon and rosette band runs along the top of the qanats. The roof is cut in roughly triangular segments, diminishing towards the apex where a central pole would have been fixed; the segments are painted with vases and flowers similar to those of the qanats. The outside of the tent is a seperate layer of coarse white cotton; the roof is edged with a band of red and white patchwork, with another around the central pole; faint black stamps on the red cotton show bands of scripts. The tent also has its original Bamboo poles. The bamboo is stained giving a mottled effect. Each pole has iron ferrules and pins to each end. Later Mughal, c.1725-50. See Mildred Archer, Christopher Rowell, Robert Skelton, 'Treasures from India', The Herbert Press in association with The National Trust, 1987, cat. 131, pp. 95-96. Exhibited: 'Master Dyers to the World', The Textile Museum, Washington, D.C., 1982, no.7. The tent has an area of 58.5 sq.m.
Acquired by Edward Clive 2nd Lord Clive (1752-1839), following the defeat of Tipu Sultan of Mysore and the fall of Seringapatam in 1799. Brought to Powis Castle from Walcot Hall in 1930. Purchased by the National Trust from the Earl of Powis and the Powis estate trustees, with support from the National Heritage Memorial Fund and the Art Fund, August 1999.