The Hindu God Krishna Venugopala
Indian (South India - Tamilnadu) School, c.1800
Bronze sculpture, The Hindu God Krishna Venugopala, Indian (South India - Tamilnadu) School, circa 1800. Krishna with four arms; the flaming discuss in his upper right hand and the fiery conch supported by his left. His lower hands are raised in the flute-playing position, and he stands in characteristic pose with his right foot behind his left leg. Hi hair tied in an elaborate top-knot. On a lotus pedestal. His consorts - see POW.CLIVE.BR.9 and BR.10. S.India (Tamilnadu), c.1800. See catalogue pg.112. Third from left in image.
Brought to Powis Castle from Walcot Hall in 1930. Accepted by HM Treasury on 21st March, 1963 in lieu of tax and conveyed to National Trust ownership on 29th November 1963.
Powis Castle, The Clive Collection (National Trust)
Makers and roles
Indian (South India - Tamilnadu) School, c.1800, sculptor