Oil painting on canvas, Sir Thomas Myddelton IV, 2nd Bt (1651-1684) by Sir Peter Lely (Soest 1618 – London 1680) and Studio, circa 1675. A portrait of Thomas Myddelton IV as a young man, three-quarter-length, standing, turned three-quarters to right, gazing at spectator, in armour and full-bottomed curled wig, falling lace cravat, baton held in his right hand with the elbow resting on a plinth with his helmet, his left hand on his hip; high plinth and fluted pillar in centre-right background; sky and clouds behind. Original of and identical to CHI/P/81
With some of the contents, in 1978, that were acquired along with Chirk Castle from Lt-Col Ririd Myddelton (1902–1988) by the National Land Fund and handed, on loan for 99 years, to the Secretary of State for Wales (In 1981 Chirk was transferred into the ownership of the National Trust). On loan to the Trust by Guy Myddelton.
Chirk Castle, The Myddelton Collection (National Trust)
Makers and roles
Sir Peter Lely (Soest 1618 – London 1680) and Studio, artist
Lord 2000 Peter Lord, The Visual Culture of Wales: Imaging the Nation, Cardiff University of Wales Press, 2000, p. 66, fig. 96